HOME SAFETY CHECK
To Schedule a Home Safety Check please email email@example.com
The Uintah City Fire Department offers free home safety checks to residents of Uintah. Let the fire department assess your:
- Home evacuation plan
- Frequency of furnace and fireplace cleaning
- Safe storage of flammable materials
- Smoke alarm placement
- Space heaters
- Extension cord use
- Safety practices in kitchens and around water
- Smoking habits
- Other possible fire hazards
If there are children in the home, the Fire Department will check:
- Keeping medicines, cleaning fluids and sharp objects in a latched or locked cabinet or drawer
- Using toddler gates at the top and bottom of stairs in homes with a child under 3 years old
- Home fire evacuation plans and fire drills
- Keeping window blind and drapery cords secured
- Determining if there is chipping or peeling paint
- Using safe furniture and toys
- Assessing general safety precautions to prevent accidents and injuries
Home Fire Safety Inspection Checklist
A fire can occur in any part of your home. Use the following checklist to do a safety audit.
- Are all matches and lighters kept out of children’s reach?
- Is “NO SMOKING IN BED” a rule of the house?
- Is your family aware that ash trays should NEVER be emptied into waste baskets?
- Are there plenty of large, safe ash trays throughout the house?
- Do you check for smoldering cigarette butts in the furniture?
- Are appliances checked periodically for good operating conditions?
- Are you careful not to run extension cords under rugs or over hooks and nails?
- When using extension cords for appliances, does the gauge of both cords match?
- Are electrical outlets overloaded?
- Do you keep rubbish cleaned out of attics, garages and yards?
- Is paint kept in tightly closed metal containers?
- Are flammable liquids stored in safety cans and kept away from heat and children?
- Have you make it a rule to NEVER use flammable liquids for cleaning clothes or start fires?
- Are oily rags kept in a tightly sealed container?
- Is your clothes dryer vent clean and properly installed?
Heating and Cooking
- If you have a fireplace, is a screen always placed in front of it?
- Is the filter for your forced air heater changed yearly and the venting cleaned?
- Are furnaces and wood burning stoves in good repair and located away from combustible walls and ceilings?
- Do you have the fireplace chimney cleaned and checked periodically?
- Do you make sure combustibles are not stored near the stove, heater or fireplace?
- Do your children keep a safe distance from flame and heat sources?
- Have you installed a smoke alarm outside every sleeping area or in every bedroom on each floor?
- Do you test your smoke alarm(s) every month?
- Do you replace the battery of your battery operated smoke alarm every year?
Fire Escape Plan
- Does your family have a fire escape plan prepared?
- Is your escape plan posted and regularly practiced?
- Does each bedroom have TWO exits?
- Do you have a meeting place so you will know everyone is outside and safe?
- Are emergency response numbers posted on all telephones?
- Is your address on or near your telephone?
- Do all family members know how to dial 9-1-1 for fire, police or medical emergencies?
- Do you show your babysitter/guests your home escape routes and review 9-1-1- with her/him?
- Does your family (and babysitter) know the first rule in fire emergencies: Get everyone out fast and don’t go back inside.
- Do you have a UL or FM approved fire extinguisher in your home?
- Do you take it out two times a year and shake it to keep the powder from packing?
- Have all dried grass cuttings, tree trimmings and weeds been removed from your property?
- Can you see your house number from the street?